Monday, May 12, 2014

Rokjesdagloop

"Rokjesdagloop"is dutch for skirt day run.  Rokjesdagloop is an annual race held in early spring, supposedly the day that girls should break out their skirts for the year.  You know I don't need an excuse to bring out a running skirt...I think I was probably the first gal to sign up for this race!

When race day finally came, I was having doubts.  It was just a few days after we lost KK and I was not feeling confident or high energy.  But I had been so excited for this race...I decided to give it a go.  I knew if I could drag myself to the starting line, I'd be able to throw down a solid performance in the 10k.  I'm glad I went.  I landed on the podium, in 2nd place.  

Over 400 gals raced that day, so I am proud and thrilled to have ended up #2.  However, there is a technicality that I think went unnoticed...
...look closely at the photo below.  I clearly remember this moment in the race, it was about 4.5 miles in...I had held the lead until then - holding off the gal in the white shirt, when out of no where the soon-to-be winner (orange shirt) blew ahead of me.  Maybe it is hard to tell in the photo, but I certainly noticed...the "winner" of the skirt day race is not wearing a skirt. We all know what this means...I am patiently waiting for the officials to contact me about my victory...

However, second place loot was pretty good.
Since this is holland, all finishers got some bulbs to take home as well as their medal.  So cute.  

 Maybe I took 2...

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...