Wednesday, May 21, 2014

Exploring a New Stride

Running.  I love it.  But lately I have been changing things up a bit.  If you are a running nerd, you  may care about this post.  If you are not...skip it - at least skip the middle of it...

 Despite a pretty good streak of podium results (1st and 2nd!), I have been feeling slow and haven't seen any improvement in my pace for over a year.

On Sunday, I ran a half marathon.

Coming into Sunday I was struggling to commit to a race plan.  I had done the training...


Yet the training lacked any intensity, focus or even consistency.  I knew I wasn't in top shape, I knew I wasn't a contender for podium (the race had some very fast gals - the female winner came in 20 minutes ahead of my PR...and if I had run my PR I would have barely cracked top 10.).  I was struggling to visualize or even find purpose in the run.  "Why bother running if I am not going for a podium or PR" was running through my head on repeat for days.  Plus there were logistical details to iron out, Oli is in the US and what was I going to do with the babes, etc. etc.  Several times I said "maybe it would be easier to just bail on this run".

Then I thought about normal people, who are not obsessed with racing.  People who just enjoy running races.  Hmmmm...

Then it clicked and I had a race plan.  The plan was to just run it, like a normal person.  For the first time in 15+ years (or maybe ever), I raced with no watch, no phone, no way to tell my pace or my time or my distance. I just ran "for fun".  I ran at a super comfortable pace the entire time...never pushing into that zone where you think you may be ill.

I think I really liked it.  My results were ok.  I think I was 21st female.  My time was 6 minutes slower than my PR, 3 minutes slower than October. It was respectable, but nothing awesome.  I was barely sore post race or the next day and I was excited to run.  I had plenty of energy for the kids, and the bakfiets.  I was definitely not burned out mentally or physically after the race.

And maybe I ran in a dress!  I have always wanted to do that!

Here is a video of my finish. (OK, I got a teeeeeny bit competitive at the very end when I saw that gal in pink...but honestly that was the only sprint of the entire race...for real. ).

I can't say enough good things about the race or the town of Leiden.  Starting with free babysitting and an expo in a gorgeous cathedral...and then the course through the most beautiful country side and neighborhoods of the Netherlands...plus it was flat and extremely well organized...with supporters lining the course.  I don't have many photos, since I ran phoneless...but here are a few I snapped before ditching my technology.  I'd love a chance to run this one again next year!



 Oh, and one more thing...the day ended with kids, friends, and pizza beside a canal....it was a good day.


Have you ever seen this friends clip? it is so good.  I thought of Phoebe a lot during my race.






1 comment:

Mary said...

Hooray for giving yourself a break and a reminder of why you love to run in the first place! I love Phoebe running - cracks me up every time.

I actually went for a jog (hard to call it running in my case) yesterday after going twice last week. Kevin (and I) was shocked. I will never be good at it, but I've decided to add running to my exercise repertoire, and it feels good. Being outside, challenging myself in a different way... Good stuff.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...