Monday, January 20, 2014

Racing Is Fun (So is Winning)

Yesterday was the 40th annual Vondelparkloop race.  The race consisted of several events, including a kids 1500m run (far, right?) and several distance options for grownups.  My friend HB and I registered our kids for the kid run and ourselves for the 10k.  HB and I both opted for the 6k at the last minute - due to our desire to run less some logistical/timing benefits.

The kids run was first, and they rocked it!  P had cold feet (literally and figuratively) so she opted to cheer on her brother from the sidelines.  Front and center, W(in orange) was easy to spot on the starting line (don't tell him he is the smallest kid in the front row, ok?).  As I snapped this picture I realized his shoes were on the wrong feet.



When it comes to running,  Vondelpark is my home turf these days.  I run there several times per week.  I usually run 2 loops of the park...so the 6k race felt oh so right, since that is exactly my 2 loops.  The starting line was a confusing, unorganized mess...so it was pretty hard to gauge how the run was going in terms of my race position.  I wasn't able to secure a spot in the front corral, and I could only shimmy my way so far forward through the starting line chaos.  Once the gun went off, I knew I was running fast...but I was not out of my comfort zone or running as fast as I have on really good days.  However, the Sunday effort was enough for a rock solid finish...




The truth is, the great runners all ran the competitive 10k yesterday, leaving the 6k victory up for grabs to someone like me.  But, a win is a win...and I will absolutely take it!  



No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...