Tuesday, January 21, 2014

Eet Smakelijk

While I am on the topic of international, travel-inspired cooking...I am trying to remain open minded about Dutch cuisine.  Dutch cuisine does not have the best reputation.  Have you ever seen a Dutch restaurant anywhere outside of Holland?

Things I do see over here include:

Stew: Hutspot  (a traditional dutch stew) and stampot (which I believe is hutspot with green stuff in it - could be kale, spinach, endive...).  Both 'pots are served with sausage on top.

Fish: Of course there is alot of herring going on over here.  I checked that one off the to do list back in July, but I may be up for another taste of it soon.

Sweets: We have tried and fallen in love with fresh stroopwafels and poffertjes.  We have also been to our share of pannenkoeken (pancake) restaurants - which, btw, are not open for breakfast (just lunch and dinner).

Pea Soup: I have made a pot or two of Erwtensoep (split pea soup) which is very Dutch, especially if you throw in some sausage.

Bar Food: I would be fine to make it through our life here without every trying a bitterball (see graphic above).  "Meat" is never specified...its just "meat".

Dutch Apple Pie: Now that is something special.  Its on the menu everywhere, each place does it a little differently.  I prefer mine with no raisins (which can be tricky to find).  Oooh, now that is lekker.

Image above is from here

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...