Tuesday, October 25, 2011

It's Good To Be a Huppie

I really thought I invented the word huppie one day on a run.  I was a little bummed to figure out that someone else had already invented it.  But now I'm over that...and I really love using it.

 Portland is full of huppies and we love it. 

Check out this definition from the urban dictionary.   PDXers, are you laughing?  The rest of you - are you  laughing at us? 





Here are a few huppie-isms I've learned about over the past 6 years in PDX:
Hippies drive an original VW Van. Yuppies, a pimped SUV.  Huppies?  A VW minivan, duh. 

Hippies give birth in the woods.  Yuppies schedule a cesarean and get the suite at the hospital.  Huppies?  Most deliver in the hospital with midwives and doulas.  Huppies secure bragging rights by getting it done without drugs.  Most huppie babies are born in a tub. 

Hippie kids play with rocks.  Yuppies have American Girl Dolls.  Huppies?  Hello Plan Toys Green Dollhouse. 

Hippies go backpacking. Yuppies are at the Ritz.  Huppies, camp with rules (for example, my rules: never 2 nights in a row, meals at restaurants, bathroom facilities near by, wifi is a nice touch, and always on a mattress). 

Hippies vacation in the woods (see camping above).  Yuppies go to Paris or Barcelona or some cool Asian city.  Huppies?  Hello ecotourism was invented B.H.F.H.  (by Huppies for Huppies).

Hippies play frisbee, juggle and hula hoop in a park.  Yuppies golf at the club. .  Huppies?  We have sporty weekends in the mountains.  Summer and Winter. 

Diapers?  Doctors?  Schools?  Restaurants?  This game never gets old.  Play with me. 

Sidenote, pretty soon this huppie will procure a good looking compost bin for my kitchen counter because, while I support the approach, the city issued bin isn't going to fly with my decor...

6 comments:

Leah said...

Hilarious! I always got called a "Yippie" when I lived there though... I agree, the game could go on and on. Hippies ride clunker bikes, Yuppies drive; Huppies ride Xtracycles, Madsens or some other form of custom/expensive 2 wheeled thing.

Birdie said...

Only thing missing in the urban dictionary definition is a picture of S and O! You fit the description in all categories! As a mother of one and a mother-in-law of one, I LOVE huppies and grand-huppies!

Jen Sharp Gorman said...

omg - hilarious! this yuppie loves her bff huppie! compost .... huh?!!! ;) xoxo

Loraena Tuttle said...

SOOOOOO funny. Thanks for introducing me to this term. Pretty sure I'm a huppie too. Not sure how I stumbled onto your blog, but I'll be back. =)

GSB said...

Love it. And love being huppies together.

Anonymous said...

I'm definitely a cross between all three for sure. Need a new word for those of us who were doing a lot of those things before they were trendy:)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...