Monday, November 15, 2010

Movie Update

I'm still working through this list, but I think I'm doing pretty well.

I joined Netflix. Hello, welcome to this decade, right? Love it.

There have been some bummers - for example, I couldn't find Le Petit Nicolas for rent/download anywhere and I am so obsessive about completing lists that I just went ahead and bought it which wasn't cheap but I really think I'm gonna love it (if it ever arrives...where is it?). Another example - we downloaded Happy Go Lucky using iTunes (before I got Netflix). Unless I am doing it wrong, downloading a movie takes for like ever. And then you can only keep it for 24 hours. Well, by the time we got around to finishing it, we got cut off because we hit the 24 hour mark with about 20 minutes to go. Huge bummer.

But there have been some great ones - Happy Go Lucky was ADORABLE and I sorta want sweetP to get the nickname Poppy because the girl in Happy Go Lucky is named Poppy and she was just so confident and likable. I need to see the last 20 minutes before I can totally commit, but I think I loved it.  Having a girl?  Consider the name Poppy, I just love it now. 

September Issue - Loved it! 

500 Days of Summer = My new favorite movie I think. I totally LOVED it. I could watch this scene over and over and over and today I did just that.  WKF was digging it too. 

He is adorable, and don't you just LOVE having the feeling that they capture so well here?! Olibug - you make my dreams come true ooh ooh!  I just watched this last night but sorta want to watch it again tonight.

FoodInc - made me feel all yucky and yet I'm glad I watched it so that I can be more aware....it was certainly interesting and scary.  Yuck. 

Up in the Air reminded me that I am sooooooooooooooooo glad we made the life change to quit big consulting firms (yawn, barf) and move west for more balance-focused jobs.  I can't believe we ever lived that life-on-the-road crap, but at least we saw the light!  I don't recommend this one. 

I think I want to strike Up and Penelope from the list.  I'll watch them both someday, but not a high priority unless someone is actually reading this horribly long boring post and tells me otherwise.  Broken Embraces - I am curious about it, but the thought of sub titles makes me so tired and a bit stressed.  Not the goal. 

An Education - next in my queue. 

Are you still reading?  Wow, thanks.  I hate long posts and I'm sure you do too.  But since we've come this far...do tell...what am I missing?

4 comments:

Victoria said...

Up is lovely and really worth seeing. Though have your tissues ready for the first 10 minutes.

bonus points for being family friendly

Mary said...

I absolutely loved 500 days of summer - they are both so cute, and what a totally fun and unique movie! I felt exactly the same way about Up in the Air too. It hit a little too close to home for me, even with all that fabulous George. Up is really cute, but save it for when you can watch it with W. A Single Man is a good one for the list - it's very heavy, but very good. Colin Firth is wonderful. Can't think of what else I've watched this year. Happy watching!

Dinah said...

If you want something a little off-piste, you could try 'The Illusionist'. Beautifully crafted animation by Sylvain Chomet - oui, cherie, un vrai francais! - based on a never-used Jacques Tati script. Made and set in Scotland, with lovely animation of Edinburgh (to make you want to come here). A little dark in parts, but might appeal to you - we love it here (biased!). D xx

Mimi said...

I think Broken Embraces is definitely worth it. Even watch it with no volume/subtitles for the beauty of it. And I second Marys recommendation for A Single Man, not super uplifting, but the clothing & architecture is to die for. I mean it was directed by Tom Ford, duh.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...