Wednesday, March 4, 2009

Balance!

The balance drama. Every woman I know is dealing with it. It is not unique to women with kids, or married women, or women who work. This is an issue that all women I know struggle with. Men struggle with it too I think, but women seem to struggle more. We certainly talk about it more. We talk about it a lot, don't we?

I am racking my brain trying to think of a time that I had a conversation with a girlfriend (or any woman) and she told me that she felt good about the balance in her life. I don't think I have ever had such a chat. Wow, I'd like to. If you are that woman...please post a comment or shoot me an email, I'd love to hear about it.

It is my (aggressive) goal to be that woman. I want to have it all and I think that I can. I am not sure how to work out all the associated details, but I am determined to find a way. I feel really optimistic about it. It's actually really exciting to me.

This topic is so interesting to me. Women in my generation can do anything. This is amazing and yet overwhelming. We can strive to have a career as successful as our fathers did and we can strive to manage the house as well as our mothers did and most of us strive to do both at the same time...is it possible? There does not seem to be one solution that works for everyone, it is the opposite...each gal's balance is unique to her.

I am still enjoying my time at home with my handsome baby boy (lucky me, I know. Of course you know how I feel about luck.). But I am also prepping to return to work in some capacity in the future. Thinking through the details of this transition is what has caused my mind to wonder down this path this morning.

There is more to it than just working and mom-ing. There is wifing and friend-ing and running and getting my toes painted and painting and vacuuming and play dates and having clean clothes and seeing movies and traveling and talking on the phone and on and on and on and on. And for me the goal is to do all of this with clean hair and teeth, a cute outfit, and while feeling relaxed, and in control. Hmmmm....

Life is SO fun. Right?

OK, remind me to check back on this topic in about 6 months....

3 comments:

Unknown said...

Balance means setting priorities. You can do it all-but not at the same time.

Having a partner who is truly a partner in the home--with kids, pets and the house responsibilities shared--makes more things possible.

Mary said...

It's absolutely an individual definition, and certainly about priorities. (For example, running wouldn't make my list! ;-)

Your approach has to be something that has to be continuously evaluated and updated. I have found balance at certain times and then lost it again the following week. Constant vigilance.

Great post. I'll look forward to more of your thoughts on this and you find your own balance.

Ms. Mayhem said...

My balance comes from "choosing my battles", "not keeping up with the Jones'", and reminding myself to laugh. With three kids, the above are a must, I work part time to remind myself I'm a grown up and to get out of the workout clothes regularly. There are things I would like to "tweak" but at the end of the day everyone is healthy, we have what we need, and I can't ask for more than that. But, I also remind myself of this when the house is a mess, the kids are crying, or work is driving me crazy. Perfection is unobtainable, balance is easier than you think. Keep us posted! I suspect your are more balanced than you give yourself credit for.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...