Thursday, March 6, 2008

White Moose!

O's sister lives in Park City and she passed along photos of this White Moose! Isn't he gorgeous? I didn't even know moose came in white! Googling around didn't teach me much beyond the fact that White Moose are very rare (1 in 100,000). Wikipedia didn't even have an entry on White Moose and their general entry on "Moose" didn't touch on the rare White Moose.


There appears to be some debate as to whether White Moose are albino or a different type of species...or some think that its neither but that a White Moose is the result of mating by both a bull and cow carrying an altered recessive "White Moose" gene.

Update: I had a mid-day lunch date with my fab hubby. He had such interesting commentary on the White Moose (he does not read my blog, but he also got the pix from his sis). He said, "I wonder if the Moose knows he is different?". For some reason I just love love loved that thought and his perspective. Don't you?

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...