Sunday, March 23, 2008

Three for Three

Disclaimer, I hate long blog posts. Sorry in advance this one is so wordy....


In between nest uncluttering sessions (and some intense scrabble), we were out trying some new (to us) restaurants around town. We were three for three.

One: San Felipe Taqueria:

Normally I don't crave Mexican...maybe the BabyF in me wanted it?! So, Friday night all I wanted for dinner was fish tacos. I poked around online and found this article (highlight below)...which made me want to give San Felipe Taqueria a try.

"San Felipe Taqueria’s specialty is the fish taco, the ubiquitous street food of it’s namesake, a sleepy fishing village on the Sea of Cortes. In a nod to the Pacific northwest, the fish here is halibut rather than shark, and the battered filet, topped with shredded cabbage and a slightly sweet, mustard-flavored mayo, is crispy outside but still moist and tender."

I was not disappointed. No frills, cheap, fast, and it hit the spot. The space was nothing to blog about...but it was cute enough and kind of made me want to throw a mexican themed fiesta (although I am pretty sure that get that feeling every time I walk into a Mexican joint).

Plus, added bonus, it was in the Sellwood neighborhood. I love it over there. Everytime we go we think that if we were not so in love with our own fab corner of Portland, Sellwood would be high on our list of possible hoods. Another pro, it appeared to be kid friendly (something we now notice, weird).

Two: La Buca:



Saturday night. We wanted pasta. Something cheap but good. The hilarious online reviews by the Mercury of La Buca (highlights below) seemed to convince us that we were crazy not to give La Buca a try.

"Fanfuckingtastic Italian", "rare find", "La Buca is my bff", "Why don't I go here more often?", "Delicious Italian minus the bullshit".

These people were right. For $25 bucks total, we both had amazing pasta dishes and a great salad. Loved this place. There were lots of new babies there too...that was good to see. La Buca is at 40 NE 28th, just off of Burnside - rad little neighborhood too.

Three: Gravy


I hear about this place all of the time and and it is nuts we hadn't been until this morning. Breakfast was fab. We went at 9 and have not eaten a thing since....portions are as big as our house. Being at Gravy confirmed that everything in the Mississippi neighborhood of PDX is awesome. I love it over there.

Next time you hit Gravy, order the hot chocolate and see if they will tell you what makes it so unique...they left us guessing. I think it is cinnamon and some kind of Cajun spice....it was really good!

I snaked the above Gravy picture from this blog. An entire blog focused on breakfast in Portland?!? LOVE it! Notice it has been added to my "morning routine". Check it out!

Love love love this city!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Very cool blog -- so may topics! I was drawn by the mention of breakfast, my personal quest. Gravy is such a great combination of new-age cooking and old-school portions! I love what you said: went there at 9 and haven't eaten since!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...