Wednesday, March 26, 2008

An Interesting Perspective

I recently discovered Penelope Trunk, and I think she is pretty great. In addition to having her own company, she maintains a very thought provoking blog with which I immediately connected.

Penelope's blog and biz is focused on the intersection of work and life - a tricky intersection to navigate and one that all career oriented people are familiar with.

I love her most recent posting. It is about the Spitzer drama (a saga I have been fascinated by for some reason). Like most of America, I have spent time thinking about obvious things like why the heck does his wife stand by him, and why the heck is he such an idiot, and how badly i feel for his daughters. I have not spent much time thinking about Ashley Dupre (a.k.a. "Kristen"). I certainly have not thought of Ashley as a wise career woman.



Penelope's post is witty and also insightful. I have paraphrased the highlights below, but you should check out the original post.

"Ashley Dupre, who was Kristen in bed, was no slouch in the career management department. Sure, her breasts are plastered all over the Internet, but don’t be so ignorant as to think you can’t learn from someone like her. Here are three lessons."

1. Invest $ in your career - Ashley invested in a $3000 boob job. She then started making $4000 an hour from clients like Spitzer. Good ROI.


2. Know what you are selling - Ashley was not selling her body, she was selling discretion; a very profitable "product" to a high profile married dirtbag like ES.


3. If you have 2 careers, make sure they have synergy - thanks to her "fame", at this point she has earned $200,000 A MONTH from downloads of her music from MySpace (can that be true???).

Obviously I am not in favor of Ashley's career choice. However, I really enjoyed Penelope's perspective on this bizarre situation. And more importantly, I am happy to have discovered Penelope at all.

Finally, this is a good (and funny) reminder that we can find lessons to be learned from all situations.

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...